Department of Chemistry
The Department of Chemistry was established to handle the Pre degree course in the year 1967. Later in 1971 the Department was upgraded for conducting BSc (subsidiary) course. In 1976, the college started B.Sc Chemistry main course. In1981 the Chemistry department was upgraded in to Postgraduate Department of Chemistry by starting the two year M.Sc Chemistry course. In the year 2004 and 2012 peer team from NAAC visited the institution and assessed the Department as one of the best Department of the college.In 2014 Department has identified as DST-FIST Funded Department. In 2017 Department has been upgraded to Research Centre under University of Calicut. Two faculty members (Dr. Mohammed Musthafa.T.N, Dr. Sreenivasan. K.P) of our Department has been recognized as Research Supervisors in Chemistry under University of Calicut in 2017. At present there are eight permanent teaching faculty members including the Two Associate Professors and six Assistant Professors. Department also have three non-teaching staff members. There are two fully equipped laboratories, Research lab, Store for chemicals, well furnished staff room, Computers with Internet facilities and an extension centre.
Insight about the Course
The understanding of the fundamental nature of our world is grounded in our knowledge of Chemistry. Molecular transformations are basic to production of foodstuffs,medicines,fuels and materials.We will rely on this Science to maintain a sustainable wholesome environment for all the earth. The achievements of Chemistry and its contributions to the well being of mankind has improved the understanding and appreciation of Chemistry by public.Promote the role of chemistry in developing solutions to global challenges,engaging young people with scientific disciplines and methods of analysis,hypothesis,experiments and conclusions.In order to ensure global environmental protection while keeping scientific and economic development on the forefront the scientific community and policy makers should understand the role of chemistry as the pillars that hold up our sustainable future.
The Department of Chemistry endeavors to be a recognized model for educating and graduating students, prepared to compete in and contribute to the ever-changing, technology-centered world of the 21st century by delivering, teaching, research and community services.
The Department of Chemistry pledges itself to encourage in the broadest and most liberal manner towards the advances in chemistry through education by providing them with quality classrooms, projects, research and service opportunities. With a high standard for excellence in all three areas, the Department will produce students who are knowledgeable in chemistry and can think critically.
In support of our mission, the Chemistry Department strives to
Promote innovative curriculum development while exposing students to advanced technology, To develop a sense of intellectual curiosity concerning chemical theory and an appreciation of the practical role of chemistry in life, Serve as good role models to students for safe and ethical professional behavior, Act as mentors to students by offering guidance in academics and value oriented life skills, Inspire students about the value of cross-disciplinary thinking by providing them with educational and research opportunities between chemistry and other fields of study. The following are some of the major services given by the Department of Chemistry.
- DRC (Dry Rubber Content) determination of field latex: One of the major agricultural products of the area is natural rubber. The prize of the latex is fixed on the basis of dry rubber content of the field latex. Planters of the surrounding area bring their rubber latex to determine the DRC.
- Water Analysis: In the WELCHEMcentre, we are having a Systronicswater analyzer. Health department and local bodies make use of the facility as and when required.
- Low cost production of high quality toilet soaps:With the help and support of IRTC (Integrated Rural Technology Centre, Mundoor, Palakkad) the extension centre conducts workshop on low cost soap production for the public’s and students.
- Awareness classes: The centre offers awareness classes to farmers about the advantages and disadvantages of the usage of fertilizers, fungicides, pesticides etc. and about the soil testing and leaf testing. A mini soil testing kit is available in the welchemcentre.
- Quality checking: fungicides like copper sulphate.
- Recommendation of fertilizers to farmers.
- We also provide psychological counseling to the needy students of our department of chemistry
- Besides this all the faculty members are actively involved in the teaching, Research and Development activities by carrying out intense research work in various emerging areas of Chemistry like Green Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Coordination Chemistry etc. Faculties have been published many research papers in various international, National journals like Tetrahedron Letters, Bioorganic Medicinal Chemistry Letters, Journal of Enzyme inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry Research, Green Chemistry Letters and Reviews, Asian Journal of Chemistry, Indian Journal of Chemistry etc, and many other articles are under preparations or communications for publications in well reputed journals. All the faculty members are energetically carrying out various Minor Research Project works from University Grants Commission and are assisting the Undergraduate and Postgraduate students for the successful completion of their syllabus wised minor research projects.
The Department of Chemistry has a spacious Research lab of the capacity of 15 research students with modern facilities and Equipments. MSc Chemistry laboratory has capacity of 24 students at a time, attached with broad working area. These labs are fully stocked with new and modernequipments for a wide range of experiments. There is a separate room for keeping gas cylinders, reagent bottles etc. The Research laboratory is attached with a Computer Centre which is assigned for Research and extension works. A project lab named “Welchem Extension Centre” with different instruments are attached with the MSc. Lab. A well-separated storeroom for keeping the chemicals, which is always kept well stocked is also placed near the PG and Research Laboratory. Department also have large and well equipped BSc Chemistry laboratory of capacity 50 students at a time with side rooms. Both the laboratories are well maintained and constantly updated. Thus the department has excellent undergraduate/postgraduate/research/ teaching labs, ICT enabled well-furnished class rooms etc. The Main laboratory equipments include Spectroflorometer, UV-Visible spectrophotometer, Systronic Water analyzer, Colorimeters, Hot air ovens, Sensitive electronic balances, Conductivity bridge, Potentiometer, Polarimeter, pH meter, Refrigerators, Electric centrifuges, Chromatography facility, Horizontal electric shaker and 10 computers with printer& accessories etc.
Dr. Mohammed Musthafa T N
HOD, Assistant Professor & Research Guide
|Qualifications||MSc, Ph.D, PDF (Japan), PDF-VR (Japan)|
|Qualifications||MSc, NET, B.Ed|
Dr. Sreenivasan K.P
Assistant Professor & Research Guide
|Qualifications||MSc, DSc, PDF|
Fausia K H
|Qualifications||M.Sc CEMISTRY , CSIR -NET|